These plucky Nets lastly caught a break.
Paul Millsap has agreed to a cope with Brooklyn, based on The Athletic’s Shams Charania, giving the NBA championship favorites one other piece so as to add to an extremely proficient group. The veteran ahead thought of different contenders such because the Clippers and Warriors, per Charania, however Millsap in the end signed with the Nets to deliver an finish to what had been an extended free-agency interval.
MORE: How the Knicks are borrowing from the Nets playbook
That is not all, although. Charania additionally reported Thursday morning that LaMarcus Aldridge, who retired in April due to a coronary heart challenge, may very well be on his approach again to Brooklyn after being cleared to play. The seven-time All-Star joined the Nets final season after agreeing to a buyout with the Spurs, however he was solely in a position to play 5 video games with the workforce earlier than well being issues instantly ended his profession.
Extra strikes may very well be coming — the Nets need to tighten up the roster sooner or later — however let’s take an early have a look at this loaded rotation.
Nets roster, projected lineup for 2021-22 season
|PG||James Harden||Patty Mills||Jevon Carter|
|SG||Kyrie Irving||Cameron Thomas||DeAndre’ Bembry|
|SF||Joe Harris||Bruce Brown||Alize Johnson|
|PF||Kevin Durant||Paul Millsap||James Johnson|
|C||Blake Griffin||Nicolas Claxton||Day’Ron Sharpe|
Some fast notes…
- All the pieces begins with Brooklyn’s “Large Three” of Durant, Harden and Irving. So long as the celebs are wholesome and aligned of their championship mission, the Nets shall be troublesome to take down in a seven-game sequence.
- DeAndre Jordan and the Nets are reportedly working towards a buyout, so he has been faraway from this depth chart. That leaves Griffin to reprise the identical position he had in the course of the 2021 NBA playoffs.
- Mills ought to present an enormous increase off the bench. The longtime Spurs super-sub is a dependable scorer and shooter (38.8 p.c on 3-pointers for his profession) and will thrive alongside elite offensive expertise.
- Brown is listed within the small ahead class right here, however he may very well be positioned in nearly any slot. He generally is a spot starter, a backup guard or perhaps a small-ball heart relying on the lineup.
- Brooklyn will seemingly give Millsap minutes just like what he acquired final season in Denver (20.8 minutes per sport). The expectations will not be tremendous excessive: protection, rebounding, management and the occasional bucket.
- Thomas is an intriguing reserve to look at. He averaged 27 factors per sport within the Las Vegas Summer season League, scoring at each stage and drawing a ton of fouls. Will the Nets deliver him alongside slowly, or can he steal an honest quantity of minutes as a rookie?
- Have enjoyable, Steve Nash.